Roses add beauty to mother nature. Rose plant, belonging to the genus Rosa, is a popular plant well-known for producing beautiful flowers on the earth. One interesting fact about this genus is it contains over more than 100 species of roses and is derived from the family Rosaceae. Recognized as a symbol of love, roses come in different hues and colors from red to pink, white to purple, yellow to white, each representing a unique meaning. For centuries long, roses have been depicted for delivering love, peace, serenity, and even politics. Talking about centuries ago, Romans and Greek civilizations cultivated roses in their backyard to add beauty to nature. However, the cultivation of roses can be seen in the parts of North America, Europe, and Africa.
Cultivation of the Rose Plant During Modern Day and Some Previous Years
Some palaeontological researches show that the cultivation of Roses began as early as 35 million years back. The first cultivation of roses began in China, probably during 500 BC. Earlier, the rose plant was grown due to its decorative and fragrant properties. However, now farmers and other researchers cultivate this beautiful plant not only for its flowers, but also for its roots, stems, and leaves. Nowadays you may see many wild roses emerging from the main rose plant. These wild roses can be cross-breed with other wild roses or real roses to produce a unique variety of colorful roses. These modern roses are highly resilient and can grow even in worse climatic conditions.
Specifications of the Rose Plant
- Rose can grow in different forms and is known as a perennial plant.
- These different forms in which the rose can grow are shrubs, trailers, and erect climbers.
- The size of the Rose plant depends on their species. For example, Grandiflora roses may reach a height of upto 8-10 feet. While hybrid roses grow upto 3-7 feet high.
- Bushy roses are generally shorter in height i.e. 1-2 feet.
- The rose plant may possess prickly branches known as thorns.
- The leaves of the Rose plant are generally pinnate. They have an oval-shaped leaflet.
- Mutation when occurring in a rose plant changes the number of petals in them.
- A number of five petals and five sepals can be seen in wild roses.
- However, in a hybrid plant, the number of petals goes on to increase.
- The same applies to the size of the rose flower. It ranges from 1.75 meters to 17.5 meters, depending upon the original or hybrid species.
Rose Plant Root System
Getting back to our main topic, we will discuss how exactly is the root system of the rose plant. Well, roots play a very important role in the development of a plant. Hence, it is crucial to learn about how the roots of a rose plant help in its growth and development. Rose plant possesses a taproot system initially, but as the thinner roots start developing from the main base, it gets converted into a fibrous root system. These fibrous roots are thin thread-like structures that are spread horizontally onto the ground and absorb vital water and minerals from the soil.
Because of their secondary development, several of the roots of the rose plant become woody roots as the plant expands. The major purpose of these woody roots is to create a connecting channel for the Rose Plant’s weaker roots. These deep roots assist in keeping the rose plant erect. They also retain essential nutrients in their compartments as a reserve for the winter months, while the narrow, fiber-like roots, also known as feeders, take water and nutrients straight from the surface of the soil and make them accessible for the plant’s urgent need.
So, how to promote the growth of the rose root system? Let’s find it out!
How to Encourage the Establishment of Healthy Rose Roots?
To produce robust and healthy roots, the rose plant requires loose and freshly draining soil. Because they are strong feeders, digging some old manure into the soil prior to growing your roses is a smart idea. A buildup of compost surrounding each plant might also assist to safeguard the roots. This protects the roots from temperature extremes, as well as weeds. One such method of planting the roots of a rose plant is by grafting. Let us look into the concept of how to grow a rose tree effectively with the help of a grafting method.
Grafting of Roses
There are many roses that do not develop from their roots. Grafting is used to produce the majority of the altered rose plants. Grafting is the technique of joining the roots of one rose to the stem of the other rose plant. Some rose types have lovely blooms but fragile roots. So, by grafting roses, you may receive the benefits of both a strong rootstock and lovely blossoms.
In a simple way, grafting is a technique for combining the traits of two plants into one.
For instance, the Tea Rose plant, which is a very popular plant globally, is a hybrid that utilizes Dr. Huey Rose plant’s rootstock. Dr. Huey is a deep red hybrid plant that was first developed in 1914 and is currently mostly used as a rootstock for roses in the rose-producing industry. Because grafted roots take less time to produce in the nursery, they are less expensive and widely used by many gardeners.
Growing Roses from Stem Cutting
Many plants can grow from the cutting of their stem. The term “cutting” refers to slicing a part of the stem from its various stages and planting another tree from that part of the stem. Growing a younger plant from the stem of an existing plant can lead to the formation of an exact copy of its parent plant. When you think of growing roses in your garden, you can take the cutting of its existing stem at any stage of its growth. However, you should keep the following points in mind when you are growing a rose plant at your home.
- The stem cuttings taken from the rose plant have to be planted at the time when they have been taken out from the soil.
- The cuttings of the stem should be 6-8 inches in length.
- The cutting stem should possess a minimum of four nodes.
- It should be kept in mind that these stem cuttings must be planted 4-6 inches deep into the soil.
- When the plantation occurs in direct sunlight, it affects the growth of the plant. Hence, the rose plant root system must be grown in indirect sunlight.
- Always, you should keep the soil bed moist and covered to let the rose plant grow.
Uses of the Rose Plant
Roses are utilized in many different ways. Nowadays, the cultivation of roses is done to utilize them for various purposes. Women in western culture tend to wear ornaments made up of roses during their wedding. Similarly, there are also many medicinal and food uses of the rose plant.
Ornamental Uses of the Rose Plant
- In many decorations and wedding places, roses are widely used by planners and event managers.
- They are widely known to be utilized for maintaining a pleasant fragrance.
- In many wedding functions, the women tend to wear roses as an ornament to give their beauty an elegant touch.
Medicinal Uses of the Rose Plant
- It is said that by consuming rose petals, humans can control their blood pressure, and they can be saved from many heart diseases.
- Red roses can be infused in the making of a ferrous fumarate medicine.
- In case of any burn or injury, applying the paste of rose petals may give a soothing effect.
- Consuming dried fruits of the rose plant is beneficial for obtaining Vitamin C.
- Rose petals may help in treating the disease called scurvy that is caused as a result of Vitamin C deficiency.
- The roses can cure cavity dryness and acidity.
Usage of Roses in Food
- To enhance the flavor of the food, many women use roses as a flavoring agent in the kitchen.
- For the food coloring agent, roses are widely used in many food dishes.
- Rose essence can be used in many syrups, juices, and jams.
- For presenting desserts, the rose petals can be sprinkled over the food items such as kheer, ras malai, rabdi, kulfi, etc.
Benefits of Roses in Beauty Products
- The oil prepared from the roses can be helpful in dry and flaky skin. It also helps to maintain hormonal balance in women.
- When people are suffering from excess oil and imperfect pH balance, applying rosewater can be beneficial.
- Regeneration of skin tissues and strengthening of the skin cells can be done by rosewater because it possesses many antioxidant properties.
- Because of the amazing fragrance, roses are used in many room fresheners and perfumes for women.
Interesting Facts About Roses
The oldest fossil of the rose plant was found around 35 million years ago in the city of Colorado. Talking about the longevity of the plant, roses can live upto 35 years or more. It has been seen that a thousand-year-old rose has been grown that climbed up the Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany. It is believed to be the oldest grown rose worldwide. The age of this flower was about a thousand years.